Friday 12 February 2010

The Dinner during my travel to Northern Alaska

When I have got for the first time to Northern Alaska, I have been shaken by its beauty. I love especially winter and winter landscapes with all its delights. Therefore I enjoyed the severe nature of this edge, talked to the fine people occupying Alaska. They are not verbose. But they are sincerly and very good-natured also.

Certainly I should visit Denali National Park, which entrance is 237 highway miles north of Anchorage and 125 miles south of Fairbanks. The Park was created in 1917. There are not any hotels in National Park, however you can stop without any problems behind its borders where there is a set of hotels, inn and chalet rooms.

It is a great pleasure to wander on the park, in a many miles far away from city mind and vanity. The best rest, unforgettable impressions!

But of course, it is necessary to attempt and it was very interesting, what a treat is at the local restaurants. I have opened for myself some fine restaurants in Anchorage, about one of which I wish to tell especially.

Alton’s Restaurant. The Chef Carly Berger only recently has opened this fine place and I had dinner at it. I made our reservation online and arrived to be greeted at the door by Mr. Carly, who quickly had us seated in the dining room, which has Alaska art on the walls.

Dinner service began at 6 p.m. and within 15 minutes the room was almost full. I noticed this was well handled by the competent and obviously experience wait staff. Our order was quickly taken, with explanations given where needed.

Since it was a cool evening, we began with soup, a seafood bisque with a light touch of cognac and Thai avocado “raw” soup, meaning the ingredients were not heated to above 115 degrees. Both soups ($5 and $6 each) were tasty. For the main fare, I chose the fillet of halibut, pan-fried a la meuniere with wild mushrooms in garlic and herb beurre blanc ($18).

My companion chose the grilled sushi-grade ahi tuna on a fresh ginger blueberry beurre blanc sprinkled with sesame seeds ($22). Each dish was beautifully presented and included fresh asparagus spears or a zucchini slice and long green beans, cooked just to firmness. Fresh bread accompanied the meal, with chilled butter sealed in individual containers displaying the owner’s logo.

We completed our meals with selections from the extensive wine list, with 170 options from major wine regions worldwide. I chose Beringer Founder’s Reserve Sauvignon Blanc from Napa Valley, and my companion enjoyed a merlot From Argentina ($5 and $7 each)Several times during the meal, a staff member stopped at our table to ask if all was well.Desserts choices are many including chocolate mousse, Key lime pie, cheese cake, silk pie, tiramisu cake and chocolate dome ($5 to $6 each).

It took me almost 10 years of visiting Anchorage to discover Alton’s Restaurant. You should discover it now too.

No comments:

Post a Comment